Scottish lamb & dumpling stew
This recipe was given to me by my now 97 year old granny. It is absolutely delish!
Servings 6 people
- 1 kg lamb collarbutt or lamb leg cut in 1" cubes
- 200 g carrots (approx 2 large) diced
- 1 white onion diced
- 200 g turnip diced
- 8 mushrooms cut inhalf
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bayleaf
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 350 ml orange juice
- 350 ml vegetable stock
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1.25 cups self raising flour
- 60 g cold butter cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
Season meat and sear in dutch oven on medium to high heat, approx 5 mins. *see tip*
Remove meat and leave on clean plate.
Cook vegetables (except mushrooms) on medium heat for 2 - 3 mins
Add meat and juices back to pot.
Add flour and tomato paste, stir and cook for a further 2 - 3 mins.
Add orange juice, stock, bayleaf & thyme to pot. Cover and cook on low for 1.5hrs until lamb is tender.
Add in button mushrooms and spoon dumpling batter on top. Cover and cook for another 20 mins on low until dumplings are cooked *see tip*
Place flour in mixing bowl and using your fingers rub in butter until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
Make a well in center and pour in milk & parsley.3. Stir in gently and then spoon into stew. *see tip*
- dutch oven or large heavy based sauce pan
- chopping board
- measuring spoons/jugs
- wooden spoon
- mixing bowl
- when cooking lamb don't crowd the pan, best to cook in batches. If you put too much in the pan it won't get a nice sear on it and will just look grey
- to test if dumplings are cooked stick a skewer in them, the skewer should come out clean
- if making dumplings for something different you can cook them in just a saucepan of stock
- the stew will keep in the fridge for 3 - 4 days. When reheating it do so on a low heat with a lid on. The steam will moisten up the dumplings again
- stew freezes great, just follow the instructions above to reheat it
Calories: 451kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 442mg | Potassium: 985mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 6060IU | Vitamin C: 43.6mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 4mg