Crispy pork belly,sweet potato puree & cider jus
If you like crispy skin pork then this is the recipe for you. A simple cider jus and some amazing sweet potatoes and this will impress any dinner guest!
Servings 2 people
- 4-500 g pork belly
- 100 g savoy cabbage chopped
- 1 sweet potato roughly chopped
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 50 ml water or chicken stock
- 330 ml cider
- 200 ml chicken stock
- ½ onion roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 star anise
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp butter
Score skin of pork in a criss cross fashion at 1cm intervals.
Rub skin with a generous amount of salt and leave in the fridge over night and up to 48hrs.
When ready to cook, wipe skin with paper towel to remove salt & excess moisture.
Rub with 1 tsp olive oil and a generous amount of salt.
Place in oven @ 220c for 30 minutes and then cook for 25 minutes @ 170c.
Leave rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Place sweet potatoes on baking tray.
Heat butter in frying pan on medium heat until it froths up and starts to turn brown. Remove from the heat and add the cinnamon & sugar to butter.
Pour over sweet potatoes and mix well. Bake sweet potatoes @ 180c for approx. 20mins or until soft.
Place sweet potatoes, salt, pepper and a little butter in blender and add 50ml of water or vegetable stock. Blend until smooth adding more water/seasoning of necessary.
Place all ingredients into sauce pan EXCEPT BUTTER and simmer until reduced by ½ - approx. 20 minutes.
Strain through sieve pressing all the liquids from solid ingredients.
Return to heat, whisk in the butter and reduce until about ½ cup of liquid remains.
- sharp knife
- chopping board
- sauce pan
- baking tray
- frying pan
- when cooking pork belly always dry the skin as best as possible so leaving overnight/24hrs in fridge is best
- if using a larger piece of belly use the rule of 30mins @ 220c and then 25mins @ 170c per 500g
- this dish may see complicated but the jus & sweet potatoes can all be made in advance if having a dinner party so less to do when serving it
- if you find your piece of belly has too much fat below the skin then before serving slice off the crispy skin and you can remove some of the fat with a sharp knife and place the skin back on top
Calories: 1318kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 119g | Saturated Fat: 46g | Cholesterol: 178mg | Sodium: 403mg | Potassium: 1015mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 10125IU | Vitamin C: 19.7mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 3mg