Smashed Potato Recipe
These crispy potatoes are so simple and so damn good you will want them every night of the week!
Servings 4 people
- 6 medium russet potatoes or similar fluffy potatoes
- 100 g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
Wash the potatoes and cut into equal sized pieces. Make sure not to cut them too small.
Boil in salted water for approx 15 minutes or until you can pierce easily with a knife/fork
Drain the potatoes and leave for 5 minutes - see tips. Meanwhile melt the butter and stir in the garlic.
Break the potatoes using a fork or potato masher. The goal is to have some bigger chunks and smaller fluffier bits too
Brush the potatoes with the garlic butter, drizzle with olive oil and hit them with some salt & pepper too
Bake in the oven at 180c for 35 - 45 mins, depending upon your level of crispiness!
- chopping board
- sharp knife
- large saucepan
- baking tray
- microwaveable container
- basting brush / pastry brush
- leaving the potatoes for 5 mins after draining allows for the steam to disappear and helps make the potatoes less soggy. This is something that should be done for all roast potatoes or mashed potatoes
- Any type of potato will work for this recipe but a fluffy potato I find is better than a waxier one
- make loaded crispy potatoes by adding BACON, CHEESE & SPRING ONIONS and grilling for a minute
- sprinkle CHILI FLAKES on 5 mins from the end to add some spice or add a little CAYENNE or PAPRIKA to your butter
- add some herbs like ROSEMARY or THYME to add a lovely aromatic flavour
Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 16mg | Potassium: 1459mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 18.6mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 3.3mg