*DISCLOSURE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS.
For those of you who follow me on Instagram you have probably noticed the disproportionate amount of meat consumed in our home! That’s not to say we don’t eat plenty of veg or fish too. For whatever reason I end up photographing more of the meat based dishes! So on that note, something a little healthier coming out of AnotherFoodBloggers kitchen today. I give you my smashed cucumber salad!
Well folks, its been a moment since I posted! For those of you paying close attention to the blog you have probably noticed a few changes. I’ve moved from WIX to WP as my provider and the design has changed a touch. Don’t stress too much as my same boring rants will be the same and the recipes will be, well – BETTER!!
AnotherFoodBlogger’s life has been pretty hectic of late with a trip home to Ireland. I tell you 24hrs on a plane with a 2yr old makes the trip a touch different! There has been a few catering gigs going on and house moving which is ALWAYS fun. Oh, and the biggest curveball was daycare being closed for nearly 4 months. So cooking was kinda put on the back burner while myself & princess spent TONS of time exploring Bris-Vegas parks – joys!! But all that being said, life is somewhat back to normality so stay tuned for more recipes coming your way.
I love Asian influence in food, ever since my trip to Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos many years ago when I fell in love with that style of food. Now, I’m no Asian chef nor am I at the level of the chefs cooking the food I devoured there daily. Over time I feel I’ve learnt to add Asian influence into many of my dishes in a good way. This smashed cucumber salad is the perfect example of that with great freshness from the herbs & cucumber, a nuttiness from the sesame & miso, acid from the vinegar & citrus and spice from the garlic, ginger & chili flakes. It really is an absolute winner.
If like me you have a well stocked pantry. Something you have definitely heard me discussing before, then most of these ingredients already sit on the shelf just itching to be used! Put this smashed cucumber salad down in the middle of the table for a family style dinner, bbq or serve it alongside some meat. I can’t imagine even the largest of meat eater turning up his or her nose at it!
Happy Cooking and Happy Eating Friends!
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1 tsp ginger puree
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Wash cucumber and cut into 1/2 lengthways and then into 5 equal sized pieces.
- Place cucumber flesh side down and smash with back of knife until seeds are released and skin has cracked. Cut/break into bite size pieces.
- Toss cucumber in 1 teaspoon salt & 1 teaspoon sugar and leave to drain in sieve in fridge for at least 30mins but up to 4hrs.
- Cook green beans for 1 minute in boiling water and chill immediately .
- Add cucumber, green beans, spring onions, sesame seeds, chili flakes & herbs to salad bowl & toss to combine.
- Make dressing by whisking all ingredients together.
- Add 1 tbsp dressing to cucumber mix and toss adding more dressing as you feel necessary. *see tip*
- Top with some sesame seeds & chili flakes.
- chopping board
- sharp knive
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowls x 2
- bowl with ice cold water
- boiling the green beans and placing immediately in iced water is called blanching or refreshing. This stops the beans from cooking and helps retain their bright green colour
- i used about 90% of the dressing in my version but when cooking and adding sauces/dressing it’s always best to add a little at a time and taste as you go to find your preferred amount
- adding the salt to the cucumbers helps draw moisture from them which helps in the dressing of the salad later. The sugar helps to balance it out so it’s not overly salty