*DISCLOSURE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS.
Condiments, condiments, condiments. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I can’t get enough of them. These simple quick pickled cucumbers are definitely one you want to remember.
From pickled goods like red onions, chilis & lebanese cucumbers to harissa, tomato & chili jam and homemade bbq sauce, the top shelf on my fridge is generally full of them! It’s so great to be able to whip one of these out and make a plain old ham & cheese sandwich come to life. This recipe is a basic pickle recipe. There are many many recipes all over the interweb for pickling veg. I have a few more I will share with you in time but this little recipe is a great last minute, wanna add a zing to my dish recipe. Oh and pickles (if you aren’t like me, who eats them regularly on their own!) will last for AGES in the fridge too.
Lets make some pickled cucumbers today.
Happy Cooking and Happy Eating Friends!
- 1 Lebanese or English cucumber These ones are Lebanese
- .5 cup rice vinegar
- .25 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Slice cucumber to desired thickness. I feel 1/8 - 1/4 inch (approx 1/2 cm) is about right for me.
- Stir together vinegar, salt & sugar until dissolved.
- Add cucumbers, cover and leave for minimum 30 mins before using.
- Store in the fridge.
- mandoline - a sharp knife will do the trick
- measuring jug & spoon
- airtight container
- stirring spoon - tblspoon works just fine
- using a mandoline is quicker and gets even slices BUT if you don't own one then just use a sharp knife
- if you don't eat the pickles right away store them in the fridge but they do lose colour and texture quite quickly as we are cutting them quite thin. If you cut them thicker then they will last longer!
- this quick pickle recipe will work with any veg so don't limit yourself to cucumbers