It has been a minute friends since I posted! Too much golf, garden renos, trips back to Ireland and tbh a little bit of laziness too 😉
Well, I figured seeing as the weather is warming up nicely here in Australia I would bring out a banger that is perfect on its own or as part of a Spring/Summer BBQ.
This cold Asian noodle salad has been doing the rounds here at Chateau AnotherFoodBlogger so why not keep scrolling and get in on the action too 😉
Why I Love This Recipe
Too many reasons to put into one tiny paragraph and I sure as sh1t don't wanna bore you so here are a few quick reasons why you need this in your life!
- quick n' easy - ready in 20 or so minutes
- keeps for a few days in the fridge - my wife is enjoying it as work lunches this week
- full of all the good stuff
- goes great on its own or as part of a BBQ spread
- can be prepared in advance
- did I mention it's quick to make 😉
So, if you have friends around this weekend for lunch/dinner, a family to feed, or just want something bloody tasty, look no further than my cold Asian Noodle Salad!
I recently had the pleasure of trying a range of wines from Bests Wines here in Australia. The Grampians to be exact! The Riesling is one that stood out HUGELY to me. Maybe it's the warmer Queensland weather, the more golf I'm playing or the more my 7-year-old has me run ragged but a glass of it just quenches the thirst too well!
The story of Bests Wines dates all the way back to 1866 - long before you and I were even thought about! They are a family-owned winery for 5 generations and throughout the years have won many accolations incl a Jimmy Watson Award, Best Value Winery Australia, Best Riesling of the Year and Best White Wine of the Year to name a few!
So.... There was no pressure on me when I decided to pair this delicious Asian cold noodle salad with their 2023 Riesling!!!
Bests 2023 Riesling
When you are looking for the best, it's kinda smart to start at a winery called Bests 😉 Having mentioned the numerous awards they have received above (and that's only the tip of the iceberg) I was excited to try the 2023 Bests Great Western Riesling. It didn't disappoint one bit! They first planted Riesling back in the 1860s with further plantings taken place in 1944, 1978 and 1998; Riesling is now a huge part of their range and believe me when it tastes this good - no wonder!
The 2023 Riesling just ticks all the boxes for me - it is tropical on the nose with pineapple, apricot and some citrus too. Those flavours carry through to the palate too with the addition of citrus and guava too. Beautiful natural acidity, great balance and length make this wine cracking in the glass now but it is a wine I can easily see being enjoyed in 10+ years too.
This wine pairs so well with my cold Asian Noodle Salad - just imagine a bottle on ice, a big bowl of this salad while someone grills some chicken thighs on the BBQ. Could Saturday/Sunday get any better?
I don't think so!
Alternative Salad Recipes
Inspired by my cold Asian Noodle Salad and need more healthiness in your life? Then check out these ideas to whet your appetite!
Happy Cooking and Happy Eating Friends!
- 250 g red cabbage shredded
- 100 g carrots grated
- 1 capsicum thinly sliced
- 2 lebanese cucumbers diced
- 15 g coriander chopped
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- 100 g vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 handful peanuts roughly chopped
- 1-2 red chilli diced
- 1 cup peas
- sesame seeds optional
- 250 g carrot roughly chopped
- ½ brown onion roughly chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger roughly chopped
- 60 ml soy sauce
- 100 g peanut butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- Pinch salt
- 50 ml maple syrup
- 150 ml rice vinegar
- Chef Knives
- Chopping board
- measuring/weighing utensils
- Large bowl
- Prepare all ingredients as above
- Cook noodles as per packet and refresh in cold water
- Cut cooked noodles using scissors
- Toss together with remaining salad ingredients
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth
- Toss the salad w/ ½ the dressing and sprinkle with peanuts, sesame seeds and some coriander leaf to garnish
- Serve remaining salad dressing on side
- Goes great with chicken, beef and/or pork!
- this salad is great prepared in advance for a party – just add the dressing prior to serving
- it’ll keep for 3-4 days in the fridge
- when making vermicelli noodles – I find the best way is to place in a saucepan and pour boiling water over and allowing them to sit for 2mins. Drain and refresh under cold water